Industry News

Adelaide reveals plans to improve safety at notorious freeway intersection

Safety upgrades have been revealed for the notorious South Eastern Freeway intersection in Adelaide after a truck lost control there last week.

Police said the truck travelling inbound crashed into a wall at the intersection of Cross, Glen Osmond and Portrush roads at 3.50am on Wednesday. The 65-year-old driver, from Millicent in the state’s south-east, suffered serious but non life-threatening injuries, police said.

According to a Seven News report, traffic lights at the dangerous Cross Road intersection will be shifted 100 metres back to move motorists out of the way of runaway trucks.

A government spokesperson told the network that “planning and design work on the proposal are underway and advanced”.

The government is also reportedly considering installing a third arrester bed at the St Paul’s Catholic Church site.

The SA Government is reportedly looking at this site for an additional arrester bed. Image: 7News

The project received funding in this week’s federal budget with work on the plan potentially expected to start within months.

South Australian Road Transport Association exectuive officer Steve Shearer told 7News: “The head of the department told me that it will be late this year or early next year that that work will be completed”.

The Albanese government is investing an extra $100 million through the federal budget to ensure the delivery of the South Eastern Freeway Upgrade, with the South Australian Government matching the additional funding.

With work on the Heysen Tunnels underway, this project involves an extension of the Managed Motorway System “to improve travel time reliability and incident response”.

It includes the installation of an Intelligent Transport System for lane use management, variable speed limit signs, and median barrier gates to enable traffic contra-flow in the event of an incident.

The Mount Barker and Verdun interchanges will also be upgraded, improving access to the South Eastern Freeway and reducing traffic through Hahndorf.

The Mount Barker interchange is increasing to three-lanes both north and southbound, and the Verdun interchange upgrading to a full interchange, enabling access to and from the South Eastern Freeway in all directions.

The Albanese government’s South Eastern Freeway investment is part of an over $290 million commitment towards transport infrastructure in South Australia in last week’s budget.

“The Freeway is a key corridor for cars and trucks between Adelaide and the Adelaide Hills,” said Tom Koutsantonis, SA’s infrastructure and transport minister.

“The $100 million commitment from the federal government towards safety improvements, matched with state funds, will help manage incidents on the freeway and maintain traffic flow when accidents do occur.”

[signup]

The post Adelaide reveals plans to improve safety at notorious freeway intersection appeared first on Big Rigs.

  1. Australian Truck Radio Listen Live
Send this to a friend