Industry News

Key links near Rockhampton get commitment from Federal Govt

The Federal Government has committed $14.4 million to replace the Phillips Creek Bridge on Saraji Road, pending a funding agreement being reached with the State Government.

Saraji Road is considered a key link between Dysart and Moranbah, north-west of Rockhampton.

Mining businesses in the region rely heavily on the route to get their products to market.

Flooding closes the Phillips Creek Bridge periodically throughout the year, costing businesses millions and causing frustrating delays for motorists.

A replacement bridge would make the highway safer, more flood resilient and keep motorists and freight moving.

The Federal Government is committed to investing $14.4 million (80 per cent) in the $18 million project. Consistent with the usual funding arrangements for regional projects, the Queensland Government would fund the remaining $3.6 million (20 per cent).

“The Liberal and Nationals Government has put money on the table because we know how important this project is to motorists, businesses, and the economy,” said Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce.

“Road closures in this region affect our country’s ability to make money, slowing the flow of valuable commodities from Central Queensland’s mines to our ports and onto buyers,” he said.

“When the trucks stop, so do the royalties that pay for the services all Australians rely on. That’s why we’re pushing to get this project done.”

Joyce said the Liberal and Nationals Government will always support The Australian resources sector.

Federal Member for Capricornia Michelle Landry called on the Labor State Government to provide the remaining $3.6 million to make the project a reality.

“I am very pleased to have fought for, and secured this funding commitment from the Federal Liberal and Nationals Government,” said Landry.

“A replacement bridge will support year-round access for the benefit of the businesses that depend on this key freight route. These improvements to safety and year-round accessibility would help our area to grow and prosper,” she said.

“The project would also provide an important economic boost for local communities, supporting an expected 42 jobs during construction and helping drive our region’s economic recovery.”

  1. Australian Truck Radio Listen Live
Send this to a friend